- The time-lines mentioned are approximate and actual progression depends on individual recovery. Full recovery can take six months, but 75-80% recovery can be expected in 12 weeks.
- You will need to wear a sling for 2-3 weeks for comfort. Please remove the sling for shower and for exercises 5 times daily for 15-20 minutes each time.
- Please follow the advice and exercises demonstrated by Dr Reddy and your therapist to give yourself the best possible chance of recovery and a good outcome.
- Exercises as per “Dr_Sunil_Reddy_Shoulder_Surgery_Rehabilitation_Protocol” form the mainstay of rehab. Your therapist will incorporate this exercise into your daily home exercise regimen.
- I encourage Hydrotherapy commencing 2-3 weeks after surgery. The warm water and buoyancy allows for comfort and less pain during exercises and muscle relaxation.
- Do not perform forceful exercises. Perform exercises within the limits of pain.
- For the first 2 weeks – Apply icepacks 5 times daily for 10 minutes each time.
- Remember to take pain medication as advised to assist with exercises and keeping you comfortable.
First 2 weeks
- Passive and active assisted-exercises 5 times daily out of sling.
- Self stretching shoulder exercises as per protocol. Download sheet from link on this page.
- Passive and active assisted forward elevation and rotations to neutral as soon as able.
- Start gentle isometric deltoid exercises, scapular retraction and shoulder shrugging.
- Elbow, wrist and hand exercises.
- ADLs as tolerated.
2- 6 weeks
- Progress with ROM.
- Start deltoid and scapular stabiliser strengthening exercises.
- Integrate functional exercises.
- Do not perform forceful stretching. Exercise within limits of pain.
- Rotator cuff strengthening exercises not required.
Beyond 6 weeks
- No restrictions to movements or activities.
- No forceful stretching.
- Progress with strengthening and ROM exercises.
- Wean to a home exercise program.
- Can lift weights at work or home, but remember to do so close to body.