You are here
Rehabilitation guidelines for Arthroscopic ACL reconstruction
- The time-lines mentioned are approximate and actual progression depends on individual recovery.
- Patients can weight bear as tolerated from day 1. Please use crutches till good pain control, quadriceps strength and walking mechanics are achieved.
- Avoid pillow under knees and focus on knee extension and quadriceps exercises from day 1.
- For the first 2 weeks – Apply icepacks 3-5 times daily for 10 minutes each time.
First 2 weeks
- Seated knee range of motion(ROM) exercises.
- Quadriceps sets, hip abductor exercises, core strengthening and upper body conditioning exercises.
- Gait training. Wean off assistive walking devices.
- Closed chain exercises – Start squats, bridge exercise.
- Progress with core strengthening.
- Stationary bike.
- Functional and activity based exercises.
- Add eccentric exercises, lateral training exercises.
- Bike with minimal resistance.
- No cutting, pivoting.
After 12 weeks
- Progress with strengthening and endurance training.
- Low level jumping exercises.
- Work specific and sport specific training.