- The time-lines mentioned are approximate and actual progression depends on individual recovery.
- You will need to wear a sling for 4 weeks. Please remove the sling for shower and exercises 3 times daily for 15-20 minutes each time.
- Please follow the advice and exercises demonstrated by Dr Reddy and your therapist to give yourself the best possible chance of recovery and a good outcome.
- Exercises as per “Dr_Sunil_Reddy_Shoulder_Surgery_Rehabilitation_Protocol” form the mainstay of rehab. Your therapist will incorporate this exercise into your daily home exercise regimen.
- I encourage Hydrotherapy commencing 2-3 weeks after surgery. The exercises in warm water allows for comfort, pain control and muscle relaxation.
- No forceful stretching. Please allow movement to return gradually. This can take many months.
- For the first 2 weeks – Apply icepacks 3-5 times daily for 10 minutes each time.
- Remember to take pain medication as advised to assist with exercises and keeping you comfortable.
First 6 weeks
- Strictly avoid external rotation beyond neutral and abduction of shoulder.
- Self stretching shoulder exercises as per protocol. Download sheet from link on this page.
- Passive and active assisted forward elevation and rotations to neutral as soon as able.
- Start gentle isometric deltoid exercises, scapular retraction and shoulder shrugging.
- Elbow, wrist and hand exercises.
- Can start driving after 4-5 weeks depending on movement achieved and arm control.
- Cease use of the sling. Avoid pushing and pulling movements. Resume gentle ADLs.
- Progress with ROM, but restrict ER to neutral and abduction to 90 degrees.
- Progress with isometric rotator cuff strengthening. Start scapular stabiliser strengthening exercises. Light therabands okay. NO advanced strengthening exercises till 12 weeks.
- Core strengthening and cardiovascular conditioning.
After 12 weeks
- Strengthening exercises of rotator cuff and progress with scapular stabiliser strengthening and core strengthening.
- Progress with ROM.
- Integrate functional exercises.
- After 4 months include sport specific training activities.
After 6 months
- Progressive return to full sporting activities.
- May use a brace as per therapist advice during initial return to sport.