- The time-lines mentioned are approximate and actual progression depends on individual recovery.
- Please follow the advice and exercises demonstrated by Dr Reddy and your therapist to give yourself the best possible chance of recovery and a good outcome.
- Exercises as per “Dr_Sunil_Reddy_Shoulder_Surgery_Rehabilitation_Protocol” form the mainstay of rehab. Your therapist will incorporate this exercise into your daily home exercise regimen.
- Do not perform forceful exercises. Perform exercises within the limits of pain and allow for a gradual return of movements over time. It can take 6-8 months for the movement and function to return to near normal levels.
- For the first 2 weeks – Apply icepacks 3-5 times daily for 10 minutes each time.
- Remember to take pain medication as advised to assist with exercises and keeping you comfortable.
First 6 weeks
- Keep arm supported in sling including at night. Please remove the sling for shower and for exercises 3-5 times daily for 15-20 minutes each time.
- No active use of the operated arm. Please completely avoid any push, pull or reaching out movements.
- Self stretching shoulder exercises as per protocol. Download sheet from link on this page.
- Passive forward elevation and rotations to neutral position only form the mainstay.
- The Physiotherapist will see you in the hospital before discharge. Please follow his / her advice and the self-stretching exercises in the sheet will be incorporated in your home exercise regimen.
- Pendulum, Stick-assisted and pulley exercises as tolerated.
- Start scapular retraction and shoulder shrugging as soon as able.
- ROM exercises elbow, wrist, hand thrice daily.
- Walking, deep breathing exercises and cardio-vascular conditioning on a daily basis.
- Start activities of daily living. No lifting more than 1-2 kg. No push, pull activities.
- Cease use of sling. Can start driving depending on movement achieved and arm control.
- Exercises as advised by your therapist.
- Start active-assisted exercises and progress to full active ROM as able. Pulley-assisted passive ROM within limits of pain. No forceful stretching please.
- Start core strengthening exercises.
- No rotator cuff strengthening exercises.
After 12 weeks
- Progress with ROM.
- Start strengthening exercises of rotator cuff, deltoid, but avoid maximal resistance till 5-6 months.
- Core strengthening exercises.
- Strengthening of scapular stabilisers and proprioception.
- Integrate functional exercises and wean to a home or gym based program after 4-5 months.
- No lifting more than 5 kg weight till 6 months.