You are here
Rehabilitation guidelines following Meniscal Repair
- Timelines mentioned are approximate and progression depends on individual recovery.
- Partial weight-bearing with crutches for 4 weeks.
- For the first 2 weeks – Apply icepacks 3-5 times daily for 10 minutes each time.
First 2 weeks
- Straight leg raise, Quadriceps and gluteal sets, Range of movement exercises of knee sitting on a chair.
- Core strengthening and upper body exercises.
- No resistance exercises.
- No pivoting, twisting, cutting movements.
- Continue with quadriceps and ROM exercises.
- Start proprioception exercises.
- Progress with core strengthening.
After 4 weeks
- Proceed to full weight bearing.
- Progress with ROM, proprioception and core strengthening.
- Start resistance exercises only after 6 weeks – Closed chain exercises only till 12 weeks.
- Start slow walking on treadmill and incorporate functional exercises.
- Running after 12 weeks only based on functional and activity/sports based testing.